The Canine Perspective’s Adult Beginners Course could be just the thing you’re looking for!
This 6 week course covers all the basics in manners training, and is a great starting point for improving your relationship with your dog.
This course is also perfect for recently adopted dogs as a way of starting the bonding process with their new family.
Who should attend Adult Beginners?
Adult dogs who are over the age of 12 months needing some basic manners training. Also ideal for those who have completed Puppy Preschool some time ago and are in need of a refresher. All dogs must be up to date with their vaccinations and be comfortable in the presence of other dogs and people.
How many are in a class?
We take a maximum of 8 dogs per class. This way everyone receives personal attention throughout the course.
How long does the course go for?
The Adult Beginners course runs for 6 weeks, with the first lesson as a “dog-free” lesson. This enables us to do some “human training” and gets everyone on the same page before bringing the dogs in week 2. Each lesson runs for an hour.
What do we learn?
In the Adult Beginners course we cover:
For the humans:
- How dogs learn and how they communicate (with each other and with us)
- Positive reinforcement training techniques – what they are and how to apply them
- Some common myths and misconceptions regarding learning in dogs
- How dogs view the world around them
For the dogs:
- Attention exercises and name recognition
- Teaching a default behaviour
- Automatic sitting
- Polite human greetings (not jumping up on people)
- Loose lead walking
- Coming when called (with distractions)
- Staying on a mat/bed on cue
- Leave it
- A formal stay
- Some basic tricks (just for fun)
Which family members can attend?
It is important for your dog’s learning that all family members are on the same page with regards to training. All family members are welcome or different members of the family may attend different classes, providing they go home and share the information learned in class with the rest of the family. Children over the age of 8 are welcome to attend and participate in training classes (provided they are in the company of an adult over the age of 18). If you have any questions regarding who should attend classes, please email us through our contact form.
Where are the classes held?
Classes are held on Saturday mornings at the The Southern Cross K-12 School, Chickaba Drive, East Ballina.
Bookings are essential so
How much does it cost?
The cost of the 6 week course is $270 (including GST). This cost also includes:
- Email and phone support
- Graduation certificate
- Invitation to The Canine Perspective events
- Access to The Canine Perspective’s “client’s only” area
What do I need to bring?
- Your dog (of course!) on a flat collar and lead (body harnesses are also acceptable). Please – no check chains!
- Some good quality treats (eg dried meats, liver, lamb puff, small bits of cheese, chicken etc). Please note – treats are available for sale during class.
- Your dog’s favourite toy
- A mat or blanket for your dog to sit on
- Water (for yourself and your dog)
- A chair for yourself (optional)
- A smile and willingness to have fun with your family’s new addition!!
How do I book in?
This popular course books out fast, so
or phone Sarah at The Canine Perspective on 0405 535 336 for further information.